Search This Blog

Monday, July 20, 2009

AO-51 Apollo 11 Special Event

So I stayed after work to catch the 6:20PM pass of AO-51 (Amateur OSCAR 51 "Echo") over Massachusetts on July 20, 2009. There is a really nice parking lot which is raised up a bit so with an Arrow satellite antenna I can hear AO-51 with ease from just under 10 degrees above the horizon. I was unaware that the control operator of AO-51 played a continuous recording through the satellite to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission.

The transmission starts with a clip from John F. Kennedy giving his famous speach of America's mission to go to the moon in 10 years "... not because it is easy, but because it is hard....". It then goes into 30 seconds or so of Niel Armstrong (I think...) stating that the engines of Eagle are off, a few seconds later "the Eagle has landed". Following this is mission control telling them that most of the people in mission controle are "blue" and can finally breath again! A Robot36 encoded SSTV transmission follows.

I tried to record it with my laptop microphone but something wasn't working and its a silent audio clip. Maybe some other bloggers heard these commemorative transmissions or even anyone who is interested please feel free to comment and let me know what you think or experienced!

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't able to be home from work for the earlier pass so I tried listening at the 8pm pass but was only able to barely hear very short bursts of words or the SSTV signal but not enough to form even a single sentence.

    I just have a vertical I use for local repeaters and I guess that wasn't good enough, at least for that specific pass. I'd like to also see what was transmitted for the voice and SSTV portions.

    73, K2DSL

    ReplyDelete